You can allow editors and other users to tag documents on the Form tab. This makes it possible for tagging documents when they are being created. Users can also tag existing documents without having to access the Properties -> Metadata tab of the Pages application.
To allow users to tag documents on the Form tab, add a new field to the document type that you want to allow tagging on the Form tab for.
- Open the Document types application.
- Edit the document type for which you want to allow tagging on the Form tab.
- Switch to the Fields tab.
- (Optional) Click (...) and create a New category for the new document tagging field.
- Click New field.
- Fill in the properties of the new field as follows:
- Field type: Document field
- Field name: DocumentTags
- Field caption: Document Tags (for example)
- Field description: any description that you want users to see when hovering over the field caption
- Form control: Tag selector
- (Optional) Restrict the tag group that users can choose from using the Tag group ID field.
- Save the field.
Now, whenever users edit this documents of this type on the Form tab or create new documents of this type, they can tag the documents as well.
If you need to create a custom document type with a tag selector, the tag selector must be bound to a system field.