To set up detection and processing of contacts on your website:
- Open the Settings application.
- Switch to On-line marketing.
- Check the Enable on-line marketing box.
- Click Save.
- Select the Contact management sub-category of the on-line marketing settings.
Configure the following contact detection settings:
Setting Description Log IP address
If enabled, the system logs the IP addresses of contacts.
To view the IP addresses of contacts:
- Open the Contact management application.
- Edit a contact.
- Switch to the IPs tab.
Remember contacts permanently Determines how long the system remembers the relationships between contacts and visitors.
- If checked, the website can identify contacts until visitors delete their browser cookies or until the system assigns a different contact to the given visitor.
- If disabled, the system only remembers contacts until the visitor's session expires.
Automatically recognize visitors by user agent Determines whether the system uses the browser user agent information to assign contacts to anonymous visitors. Automatically recognize visitors by IP address Determines whether the system uses IP addresses to assign contacts to anonymous visitors.
- Click Save.
Your website now keeps tracks of visitors as contacts. When an anonymous website visitor arrives on the website for the first time, the system automatically creates a new contact. If the same visitor registers on the live site as a new user, the system updates the contact's data and binds the contact to the given user account.
Contact management does not track web bots (such as search engine crawlers) by default, because they are not relevant from a marketing point of view. If you wish to log bots in the system as contacts, you can change the default behavior by adding the following key to the appSettings section of your web.config file:
<add key="CMSEnableContactBots" value="true" />