This page shows you how to allow your website visitors to chat with each other in a few steps.
- Create some chat rooms in the Chat application.
- Place the Chat web part on a page.
Creating chat rooms
First, you need to create chat rooms that users will join and chat in.
- Open the Chat application.
- Click New chat room.
- Fill in the Display name and Description.
- The other settings determine the type of the room. You can leave them unchanged.
- Click Save to create the room.
- Click Chat rooms. The system shows the list of existing rooms, which now contains the room you just created.
You have created a room, which users can join and chat with others. Repeat the procedure any number of times to create other rooms.
Setting up chat on site
- Open the Pages application.
- Create a new document of type Page (menu item). Choose to Create a blank page and click Save.
- Switch to the Design tab.
- Search for "Chat" in the web part toolbar on the right and drag the Chat web part into zoneA.
- In the Web part properties dialog, leave all the settings at their default values and click OK.
You can now test the chat functionality on the Chat page.
- Open the live site and navigate to the Chat page.
- Click Enter chat.
- Click a room in the list of Available rooms and start chatting with other users in that room.
You have set up chat on a site using the Chat web part.