Content locking allows content editors to lock a page for editing, so that other editors cannot modify the page at the same time.
Content locking is based on the check-in/check-out principle. The following is an example of operations in the page life cycle when content locking is used:
- A user creates a new page and saves it. The system automatically checks it out (locks it), so that other users cannot edit it.
- The user finishes the changes, checks in the page and submits it for approval.
- A reviewer checks out the page and makes changes, then checks it in and approves it.
Enabling content locking
You can enable content locking for versioned pages at two levels:
- For a particular workflow
To enable content locking globally for all sites or a particular site, navigate to Settings -> Content -> Content management and turn on the Use check-in/check-out setting.
To enable content locking for a particular workflow, edit it and configure the Use check-in/check-out property.
To enable content locking on pages, you need to configure both levels:
- Enable Use check-in/check-out setting in Settings and set the Use check-in/check-out property in a workflow to Use site settings.
- Just set the Use check-in/check-out property to Yes in a workflow.
You also need to apply the to the desired pages.
Checking pages in and out
To check out pages when editing them, use the Check out button. When you check out a page, you can then check it in with the Check in button.
To discard the changes you made while the page was checked out, click Undo check-out. The page will revert back to the latest version before the check-out.
Changing version numbers and commenting on versions
You can use the Check in/Check out/Undo check-out buttons on the Properties -> Versions page. This page enables you to specify custom version numbers and comments for each version when you check in the page.
Checking in any page
Users to whom the Check in any page permission was granted can check in any page, even if they haven't checked out the page. You can set the permission in the Permissions application, under Modules -> Content.
However, this check-in can only be performed from the Properties -> Versions tab of the selected page, by clicking either the Check in or the Undo check-out button.