Step 2 - Database Instance
Now you can decide if you want to use an existing database or create a new database. In both cases, you need to enter the name of the database into the appropriate field.
In case you are using an existing database, you can choose if you want to Create Kentico CMS database objects.
- If the existing database already contains Kentico CMS objects (tables, stored procedures, views), then uncheck the box.
- If the database does not contain these objects (typically when you are installing into an empty database), leave the option enabled.
Step 3 - Database Collation
When using an existing database, you may also come across the following dialog. It is displayed if the database collation is different from SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. The dialog lets you choose if you want to change the collation or leave the original one.
For correct functionality, it is highly recommended to change it to the recommended value.
Step 4 - Database Creation Log
The installer will display a log, showing the progress of database creation.
Step 5 - License Key
If you run Kentico CMS on a domain other than localhost or 127.0.0.x (where x is between 1 and 255), you will be asked to insert a license key. Since the trial version works only with and (where x is between 1 and 255), the same dialog is displayed if your trial period has expired.
Enter a valid license key and click the Next button.
Alternatively, you can skip this dialog by clicking Skip this dialog link at the bottom left part of the dialog and continue to the New site wizard. You can enter a license key later under Site Manager -> Licenses. See License management for more information.
Step 6 - Starter Site
The installer offers you the following options:
- Choose a starter site:
- Corporate Site - this option installs the sample corporate site - it is recommended for most users, especially for evaluators.
- Blank site - this is a blank site without any content; you will use it to create a new site from scratch.
- Blank site ASPX - the same as above, but for ASPX page templates.
- and others
- Continue to the New site wizard - this option is recommended if you're starting a new site from scratch; learn more in the New site wizard chapter.
- Import existing Kentico CMS website - use this option if you have already created a website with Kentico CMS and you need to import it into a new installation (e.g., on the production server).
If you're new to Kentico CMS, it's highly recommended that you start with the sample Corporate Site (portal engine).
Step 7 - Starter Site Creation Log
The installer displays a log showing the progress of website creation.
Step 8 - Finished
Once the website is created, the installer displays a confirmation and you can follow the link to access the new live website.
This is the final step of the necessary installation procedure. You can now begin with managing the website content.
Default logon credentials
The default user name is administrator, the default password is blank (no password).
It's highly recommended that you change the password after you finish the installation.