Supported server-side configuration
Supported operating systems:
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (32bit or 64bit)
- Windows 8 or 8.1 (32bit or 64bit)
- Windows 10 (32bit or 64bit)
- Windows Server versions: 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016
We recommend that you install the following components on the computer where you want to run Kentico. If you do not install these components on your computer before installing Kentico, the Installer is capable of downloading and installing them or their suitable alternatives on its own (except for the Visual Studio built-in server). In such cases, your computer must be connected to the Internet.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 or newer.
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (see the table below) or Visual Studio 2017 built-in web server.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 (including the free SQL Server Express Edition). The collation set for the SQL server must be case-insensitive.
Internet Information Services overview
The following table lists instructions on how to install different versions of IIS on different operating systems.
Internet Information Services version
Details and installation instructions
Windows Server 2008
Windows 7 SP1
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Windows Server 2012
|IIS 8.5||Windows 8.1||Installing IIS 8.5|
|Windows Server 2012 R2|
|IIS 10||Windows 10||Same process as IIS 8+|
|Windows Server 2016|
For the Kentico Installer to work correctly with your IIS, check that the following features are installed on your computer:
- On Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 SP1: ASP.NET, .NET Extensibility, ISAPI Extensions, ISAPI Filters and Static Content
- On Windows 8/8.1 and Server 2012/2012 R2: ASP.NET 4.5, .NET Extensibility 4.5, ISAPI Extensions, ISAPI Filters and Static Content
- On Windows 10 and Server 2016: ASP.NET 4.6, .NET Extensibility 4.6, ISAPI Extensions, ISAPI Filters and Static Content
Note: The application in IIS must use an Application Pool with Managed Pipeline Mode set to Integrated. Classic mode is not supported.
The system may also work with other configurations. However, Kentico does not guarantee correct functionality for unsupported options.
Kentico has the following requirements when using a traditional hosting server (dedicated or shared):
- Supported server-side software configuration (see above)
- Full trust permissions for the ASP.NET application (hosting in a medium trust environment is not supported)
- Hosting plan parameters:
- Minimum: 4 GB memory (RAM), 200 MB database size
Recommended: 8 GB memory, 1 GB database size
Note: The recommended hosting parameters depend on the scale and implementation details of each project. Very large or heavily trafficked websites may have significantly higher requirements. For virtual hosting servers, the listed values refer to the memory capacity available for your web application, not the server's overall resources.
You can pick from the list of our hosting partners.
Kentico fully supports the Microsoft Azure platform, including Azure SQL, Azure Storage, and other services.
Microsoft Azure SDK 2.9.5 or newer is required for Azure Cloud Services. See Requirements and limitations for running Kentico in Azure Cloud Services for details.
If you want to use the MVC development model, integrate custom code, or create custom web parts, you need Visual Studio 2017.
Kentico requires the .NET Compiler Platform ("Roslyn") compiler to run. Do not uninstall the default Microsoft.CodeDom.Providers.DotNetCompilerPlatform NuGet package from the Kentico web project.
Kentico administration interface requirements
The Kentico administration interface is optimized for the 1920x1080 resolution (also known as 1080p or Full HD). Kentico makes use of the resolution to display graph areas and other elements correctly. Using Kentico on lower resolutions may result in some of the UI elements displaying incorrectly.
- Chrome 39+
- Firefox 31+
- Microsoft Edge 38+ (Windows 10 Anniversary Update or newer)
- Internet Explorer 11
Safari 8+ on Mac OS
We strongly recommend using the latest versions of the browsers. Older browsers that meet the minimum requirements remain functional, but may display simplified renderings of certain components.
Live site browser requirements
The list of supported browsers above also applies to visitors of websites running on Kentico.
However, the exact browser requirements always depend on the implementation of specific websites. With appropriate styling, live websites can work well in a wide variety of browsers, including responsiveness and general support for mobile browsers.
Was this page helpful?