When you install a new Kentico instance on a machine, it is automatically registered within Kentico Installation Manager. In some cases though, you may need to register instances manually. For example:
- Instances transferred or copied onto the machine without going through the installation
- Microsoft Azure projects
Registering an instance in KIM
- KIM is compatible with Kentico instances starting from the previous major version. For example, you can register instances of Kentico 9 or 10 in KIM 10.
- For instances of Kentico 8 or newer, you can only register complete web projects that use the standard folder structure (including the solution file, CMS and Lib sub-folders etc.). For example, you cannot add web site deployments of the CMS folder as instances in KIM.
- Click Register on the main toolbar.
- Enter the following details:
- Name - identifying name of the instance displayed in the Name column in the list of instances.
- URL - the URL under which the instance is accessible.
- Physical path - path to the instance's web project root folder in the file system.
- Show site selection after clicking Browse - if enabled, the tool displays a dialog with available web sites of the particular instance after clicking the Browse button (useful for multi-site instances).
- Click OK.
The KIM registers your instance and displays it in the list of managed instances.
Where is the information stored
Information about registered instances is stored in c:\ProgramData\KIM\kim.xml. The root <sites> element contains <item> elements that represent individual registered instances. The <item> elements have the following sub-elements representing properties of the registered instances:
- <guid> - unique identifier of the instance (not related to the application GUID in the web.config file of the given instance).
- <url> - URL under which the instance is accessible.
- <name> - identifying name of the instance displayed in the Name column in the list of instances.
- <version> - version of Kentico.
- <path> - path to the instance's web project root folder in the file system.
- <created> - date and time when the instance was registered in Kentico Installation Manager.
- <hotfix> - number of the latest hotfix applied to the instance.
<netversion> - represents the .NET Framework version used by the instance. The stored number does not match the .NET version, using the following encoding instead:
- <showlist> - indicates if a dialog box with available web sites on the given instance is displayed after clicking the Browse button.
<?xml version="1.0"?> <sites> <item> <guid>6085ee02-8fff-4978-abd1-1a0261a57724</guid> <url>http://localhost/Kentico9/</url> <name>Kentico10</name> <version>10.0</version> <path>C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Kentico9</path> <created>2015-12-24T08:26:39</created> <hotfix>0</hotfix> <netversion>16</netversion> <showlist>1</showlist> </item> ... </sites>
Was this page helpful?