The example demonstrates an application of a Buy X Get Y discount. The example uses the sample E-commerce Site.
We want every customer who has a coupon to get 50% discount on the cheapest book in customer's shopping cart for buying 3 of them. Customer gets as many discounts as many books they buy. The discount is time-limited, and is applied while shopping on the live site, and while editing an existing order in the administration interface. Coupons start with "BOOKS-" and there are 100 of them. Every coupon can be used once.
Adding a Buy X Get Y discount
To add a Buy X Get Y discount, you have to follow several steps. Remember that the discount is saved after finishing all steps.
Create a new Buy X Get Y discount and fill the general properties
- Open Buy X Get Y discount application.
- Click New Buy X Get Y discount.
- Enter the following values to discount's general properties:
- Name: Buy 3 books get 1 with 50 % off
- Enabled: Yes (selected)
We created a new discount which we named.
Fill in "Buy" Conditions and "Get" Conditions
- In the "Buy" Conditions category, select products in departments in the Buy any field.
- Click Select departments.
- Select Books, and click Select.
- Enter 2 to Minimum unit quantity (2 are for the full price, the third is for the discounted price).
- In the "Get" Conditions category, choose cheapest unit for discounted amount in the Get field.
- In Discount, choose percentage.
To Amount, enter 50.
You have now a discount that automatically adds 50% discount to the cheapest book in the shopping cart when customer buys three of them.
Add other discount properties and save it
- In Coupons tab, select Customer has to redeem a coupon to get the discount.
- Set Valid from and Valid to in Duration category, e.g., 9/1/2014 12:00:00 AM and 12/31/2014 11:59:59 PM.
- Click Save.
The system saves the discount. The discount adds 50% discount to the cheapest book in the shopping cart when customer buys three of them between September and December 2014, and when customer types a coupon code. After you save the discount, you will be redirected to Coupons tab automatically.
- On the Coupons tab, click Generate coupon codes.
- Enter 100 to Quantity.
- Type BOOKS- to Coupon code prefix.
- Click Generate.
The system now generates the coupon codes. We can distribute them among our customers.
Applying the Buy X Get Y discount
While shopping on the live site
- View the live site.
- Sign in as a customer (user).
Select Books in your on-line store main menu.
Click Add to cart at any book, e.g., Bill Gates (E-book).
- Enter 3 to Units of the book and press Enter to refresh the shopping cart.
- Type one of the coupon codes to Discount coupon and press Apply.
You have now applied the discount. One of the three books in the shopping cart is with 50% discount. If you now click Check out, you can continue with the checkout process.
While editing an existing order in the administration interface
- Open the Orders application.
- Edit ( ) the selected order.
Switch to the Items tab.
- Click Add item.
- Select any book, e.g., Bill Gates (E-book).
- Enter 3 to Units at the book.
Type one of the coupon codes to coupon code field and press Enter.
The system added a 50% discount to one of the books. If you click Next or OK (depending on the type of the order), you can proceed with order editing.
Was this page helpful?